Need a new breakfast idea for busy mornings? Tired of the same old boring bowl of cold cereal? Glam up your breakfast routine by making a Blueberry Pecan Breakfast cake to feed your family. (PS. It’s wonderful with your morning coffee.)
Inspired By My Hubby
I am not going to lie here. I love cooking things that make my hubby happy. He’s addicted to blueberries and pecans, so any time I can get both of these into one dish, I know it’s going to be a winner.
Sometimes we just need something different in our recipe repertoire. I know I love my coffee cake, but sometimes it just ends up being mundane. And I love having alternatives to serve at brunches and other gatherings. This Blueberry Pecan Breakfast Cake is just the thing to break up the breakfast drudgery.
I’m not one to argue this point. Finding new and exciting extracts for baking can be difficult. It seems like everyone just uses vanilla because it’s the most popular, and therefore the easiest to find. I however love to spice (no pun intended) up my baking with new and exciting extracts that I make myself. I’m working on a post right now to teach y’all how to do the exact same thing. I’ll get that done and update this recipe as soon as possible.
Starting a Cake for Breakfast Movement!!
So many times I see people grab a muffin and a coffee and move on into their day. Isn’t cake technically just a little cake? So why when I tell people that I give my family cake for breakfast do they make THAT face? It just doesn’t make a lick of sense to me why a single word changes someone’s whole perspective.
And besides,, who cares what someone else thinks? I don’t care what you choose to feed your family. Every house runs differently. You do you, I’ll do me, and we will all be happy. So if you think this looks good, you want to feed your family cake for breakfast, go for it.
And I doubt that anyone (well, maybe me now in jest) will call you Marie Antoinette or ask you to yell, “Let them eat cake.”
Now that I actually said that, now I want to change the entire thing to “Let Them Eat Cake For Breakfast” as a battle cry for my fake little movement. *wink*
Blueberry Pecan Breakfast Cake
The absolute key to this recipe is having all of your ingredients at room temperature. It will change the entire consistency of the cake if you don’t allow for this. Trust me, it’s a game-changer if you don’t, so please take my advice and take time for this step.
Blueberry Pecan Breakfast Cake
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cups 12 tablespoons salted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure pecan extract
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces fresh blueberries or frozen and thawed
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a large mixing bowl and an electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs for 5 minutes with a mixer on medium. The volume of mixture will increase by almost half and will be thickened and light in color.
- Add butter and extracts and beat for 2 more minutes. Slowly add flour and beat until just combined. Fold in blueberries and pecans, reserved some for topping, if desired.
- Using a spatula, pour and smooth batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle pecans on top, if using.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before serving, or the cake will crack.
Made too much or just want to make sure it’s accessible on a busy weekday morning? Freeze individual pieces in freezer bags for up to 6 months. Toss into the microwave for approximately 45 seconds to reheat and have a wonderful and quick homemade breakfast any day.
My daughter would love this! Pinning to try this weekend.
This sounds delicious. I think I’ll try it while my daughter and son-in-law visit over Thanksgiving.
Looks addicting! I could easily enjoy this for breakfast. Great idea to make your own extracts, too.