Are you a chips and dip addict like me? I have to actually get a bowl of chips so that I don’t eat an entire bag! If you love french onion dip, you are going to love how easy and delicious this homemade version is.
Chips & Dip Love
I’m not going to lie. I have, in a pinch, made that horrid, 1980’s style chip with Onion Soup Mix. It’s ok, but nothing like this Homemade French Onion Chip Dip.
Rich, creamy, and loaded with fine peices of caramelized onion, this is THE BEST EVER french onion dip ever. I make this even when there is no sharable occassion. I just love to have it on-hand because of my chips and dip addiction.
It’s always a hit at our barbecues and other special events. I love making a batch to take along. This dip and my No-Mayo Red Coleslaw are always asked for.
My favorite store-bought brand is only sold in specific locations, so unless I’m going to a particular store, I can’t always get it. And I just cannot justify a separate trip for just a tub of chip dip. Seems wasteful, and it depletes not only the grocery budget, but the fuel budget too.
French Onion Dip is Better from Scratch
The easier way to do this is to just make it at home with the items I typically have on hand anyhow. I can even pre-caramelize the onions and can them in jelly jars to just have a dump-and-go option.
Since it’s easier, and I always have the ingredients around, why not? Honestly, it tastes way better than my store-bought tub of dip anyhow.
At some point, I’m going to have to do a breakdown of the difference in cost, just to see. Since it tastes better though, I really am not worried about it. I have onions growing in the garden. As long as I have the dairy products on hand, the rest is basic staples in our home.
I even grow most of the herbs that I dry and use in this recipe. It’s a win-win really.
Best Ever Chips to Complement My Dip
From what I hear, chip dip is a very American tradition. I don’t know why, but apparently the difference in cultures is amazing. In some countries, I say “chips” and they think french fries. Chip to them are “crisps”.
We are all different.
I love my Homemade French Onion Dip with plain old marcelled potato chips. My go to brand is actually made and produced less than 50 miles from my home. I remember going on a field trip in elementary school to their plant. Eating hot potato chips right off the production line was a thrill. That’s when I started loving them and never stopped.
They are the best chips in the world to me, and pairing them with my Best Ever Homemade French Onion Dip just makes my day.
Get my favorite chips here. (No affiliate link. I just love sharing the things I love.)
Have a gathering coming up that you want to serve something special for? Try making up a batch of my Best Ever Homemade French Onion dip.
Best-Ever Homemade French Onion Dip
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 2 1/2 cups onion diced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sour cream *can substitue Greek yogurt, if desired*
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Cook and stir for 5 minutes to soften.
- Reduce heat and continue cooking for 20-25 minutes, stirring occassionally. Cook until golden brown and very soft. (Carmelized.) Set aside to cool.
- Place the cream cheese in a large bowl. Add onion powder, parsley, oregano, and basil.
- With a hand mixer, beat cream cheese and herbs until light and fluffy.
- Add in sour cream and mayo and continue mixing until well-combined.
- Fold in your cooked onions.
- Refrigerate at lest 2 hours. (Overnight is preferable.)
- Allow to come to room temperature before serving.
- Serve garnished with fresh chives and/or chopped fresh parsley.